I’d like to outline an approach to using creation in your evangelism.
- Evolution has blinded people from seeing truth, from hearing the Gospel, and from being saved.
- Darwin gave the world an explanation for how species came to exist without God. Philosophers like Thomas Huxley argued that the origin of all things could be explained without God.
- Rom 1:21-25 describes how and why false thinking like evolution darkens the mind saying, “Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four-footed beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.”
- John 1:1-12 describes how darkness in the mind causes people to reject truth saying, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:”
- You can begin a conversion just by stating that God created all things. People are interested in creation even though most do not want to think too hard about it.
- Claim, the Bible says that God created all things.
- Objection 1: Bible reference is revelation not science.
- Objection 2: Anyone can write down a claim for others to believe. This is not science.
- Answer: any claim can be tested regardless of the source. That is what science does.
- If you do not believe in God or doubt that there is a God, then you must admit the claim is of human origin and the result of human observation. As with all hypotheses proposed by humans, this too can be subjected to scientific inquiry.
- Objection 3: Creationism is not a testable scientific theory.
- Answer: creation is very testable. First, tests are designed to determine the necessity of a Creator by showing the insufficiency of natural properties to make the universe, life, and species.
- Second, tests are designed to distinguish between natural origin and intelligent origin. For example, anthropologists use these tests all the time to distinguish arrow heads from water polished rocks; and forensic scientists use these tests to distinguish natural causes of death from intentional causes of death.
- In fact, The SETI program designed by evolutionists is a ‘search for extraterrestrial life’ on other planets. Intelligent design tests are applied everyday to sift through electromagnetic radiation coming from outer space. Further, evolutionists are sending signals from earth with the reasoning that a scientific community of life on another planet will recognize our signals as having been intelligently designed.
- Interestingly, these signals being sent and searched for are relatively simple. Yet there is a signal that already exists that is so complex, it is beyond scientific ability to duplicate it. It is the signal encoded in the DNA molecule of every living organism.
- DNA is a long, stringy molecule that holds millions of just four kinds of molecules in a meaningful order so that life can function in all of its complexities. From bacteria, to algae, to fungi, to plants, to fish, to amphibians, to reptiles, to dinosaurs, to birds, to cats and dogs, to monkeys, to man; every living organism lives by its DNA code.
- It was thought that the human chromosomes contain at least 300 million genes in order to match the complexity of a human. However, it was found that the DNA is so efficient that only 30,000 genes are needed to code for humanity. That is because the products of genes are used many times in many different proteins. That is engineering efficiency!
- Counter point: So then, creationism is just as scientific as anthropology, forensics, and the SETI program.
- Science confirms the evidence of intelligent complexity and efficiency built into the living code of DNA.
- Science confirms that meaningful codes of DNA do not arise by themselves accidentally.
- Science confirms that the natural properties of DNA would prevent it from building complexity. It tends to fall apart.
- Therefore, science logically leads one to conclude that life must have originated by intelligent creation and design.
This one issue alone makes several powerful points: 1) creationism is scientific, 2) the revelation of creation can be subjected to science tests, 3) scientific evidence supports creation, and 4) scientific evidence opposes natural evolution of life.
Patrick Briney, Ph.D. , Sermon, Mission Blvd. Baptist Church, 3/26/08