Some teach that salvation is by works, but the Bible teaches otherwise. Consider the following sample verses. They will convince anyone with an open mind to God that salvation must be by His mercy and grace without any effort on our part to show worthiness.
The following verses show that salvation is freely given by grace and mercy to those who believe.
- Romans 3:24, Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
- Romans 3:26, To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
- Ephesians 2:5, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
- Acts 15:11, But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
- Luke 8:12, Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
- Acts 16:31, And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
- Romans 10:9, That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
- John 3:15, That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
- John 3:16, For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- John 3:17, For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
- John 3:18, He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Verses Showing Salvation is not by Works or Law
- Ephesians 2:8-9, For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- Romans 11:6, And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
- Second Timothy 1:9, Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
- Titus 3:5, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
- Romans 3:27, Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
- Romans 3:28, Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
- Galatians 2:16, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
- Galatians 3:10, For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
- Galatians 2:21, I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
- Galatians 3:11, But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
- Romans 6:14, For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
And for those who think that salvation is by grace and works,
Romans 11:6, And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Grace and works cannot be combined.